1.  "Should I call the police department to let them know my electricity or cable is out or when my sewer backs up during a storm?

No, unless you have an emergency requiring a police officer, fire truck or ambulance, call your service provider.  Here are a few numbers you can refer to for non-emergencies if you don't have a phone book.  Your phone book has a special section tabbed in brown that provides all types of valuable resources for our community - it is worth checking out!

     Directory Information - Dial 411          Police/Fire/EMS Emergency - Dial 911
              Do NOT call 411 for emergencies and Do NOT call 911 for information

Click here to find information about reporting a power outage. 


Illuminating Company Customer Service to report outages: 1-888-544-4877

AT&T Customer Service: 1-800-288-2020

Lake County Department of Utilities (Sewer): (440) 350-2070

Aqua Ohio (Water): 1-877-987-2782

Time Warner Cable Customer Service: 1-877-772-2253

Contact Mentor-on-the-Lake City Hall with questions about garbage pickup/payments at (440) 257-7216, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.

2.  "I just felt a small earthquake tremor, what should I do?"

There is no need to do anything.  If you like, you can go online to report your experience to the Dept. of Natural Resources earthquake center for their statistical information at http://www.ohiodnr.com/tabid/8144/Default.aspx or tune in to your local media station for updates.

If you have an emergency as a result of a natural disaster which requires a police officer, fire truck or ambulance, dial 911.

3.  "Where can I drop off old prescription medications?"

Call the Lake County General Health Department or visit http://www.lcghd.org/ for a list of drop-off sites.

4.  "Where can I get my fingerprints taken for an employment background check?"

Visit www.OhioAttorneyGeneral.gov/WebCheck for a list of locations near you.  These services are provided by Lake Health System and the Bureau of Motor Vehicles.  You will need a valid photo ID and the requestor's contact information.  There are fees associated with these services.

The police department handles criminal fingerprinting only.

5.  "My neighbors' dog barks early in the morning and their kid plays basketball in the driveway until late at night.  What are the permitted times for these activities?"

There are no specific times addressed by ordinance.  We recommend that you contact the police non-emergency number, 257-7234, while the problem is actively occuring .  A police officer will respond to assess the situation and to speak with the involved parties.



About MOLPD  I   Safety Tips  I  Forms   I  Employment   FAQ's  I  Contact Us