To obtain a copy of a report(s), you can do any of the following:

  • You can come to the department and request a copy of a report(s).
  • You can submit a request via email @ [email protected]
  • You can submit a request via written letter.


Things to be aware of about requesting a report:

  • If the case is still active, the report cannot be released.
  • Some reports or portions of reports cannot be released due to the nature of the specific case (i.e., protect the victim, juvenile involvement, etc.)
  • You will be charged 10 cents per printed page
  • If you are requesting for multiple reports, it may take a few days to provide the copies to you. Please give a few days’ notice (if possible).

Some offenses have a mandatory court appearance, a list of mandatory court appearances can be found here.

Any citation that does not require a mandatory court appearance can be paid in person, over the phone, through the mail, or online as long as the payment is received prior to the issued court date.

For online payments, please go here.

We cannot take money or checks at our department. All parking cites must be paid through the Mentor Municipal Court. You can go in person or mail a check. 

All checks must be made out to Mentor Municipal Court.

The following is Mentor-on-the-Lake’s ordinance: 452.01 Prohibition against parking on streets or highways. Click here to see this ordinance.

(A) No person shall stop, park or leave any vehicle upon the paved or traveled portion of any street, if it is practical to stop, park or leave such vehicle off such street. In any event, a clear and unobstructed lane shall be left for the free passage of traffic, and such vehicle must be clearly visible from 200 feet in each direction.

(B) No person shall park any motor vehicle upon the streets or highways of the City between the hours of 2:00 a.m. to 6:00 a.m.

(C) The Police Department may, upon request and application, grant permission to park upon a street, if necessary. Such permission shall not be granted for more than 24 hours and may be revoked at any time for just cause.

(D) This section does not apply to the operator of any vehicle which is disabled in such a manner or to such an extent that it is impossible to avoid stopping and temporarily leaving such vehicle.

The following is Mentor-on-the-Lake’s ordinance 452.03 PROHIBITED STANDING OR PARKING PLACESClick here to view the ordinance.


No person shall park a vehicle, except when necessary to avoid conflict with other traffic or to comply with the direction of a police officer or traffic control device, in any of the following places:

(a)   On a sidewalk, except a bicycle;

(b)   In front of a public or private driveway;

(c)   Within an intersection;

(d)   Within 15 feet of a fire hydrant;

(e)   On a crosswalk;

(f)   Within 20 feet of a crosswalk or intersection;

(g)   Within 30 feet of, and upon the approach to, any flashing beacon, stop sign or traffic control device;

(h)   Between a safety zone and the adjacent curb, or within 30 feet of points on the curb immediately opposite the end of a safety zone, unless a different length is indicated by a traffic control device;

(i)   On a street within 75 feet of the driveway entrance to a fire station;

(j)   Alongside or opposite any street excavation or obstruction, when such standing or parking would obstruct traffic;

(k)   Alongside any vehicle stopped or parked at the edge or curb of a street;

(l)   Upon any bridge;

(m)   At any place where signs prohibit stopping, standing or parking, or where the curbing is painted yellow, or at any place in excess of the maximum time limited by signs;

(n)   At the entrance to any commercial, professional or industrial building or to any apartment or multi-family building where yellow striping is present;

(o)   Within one foot of another parked vehicle;

(p)   On any street facing oncoming traffic, i.e., with the left side of the vehicle alongside the curb;

(q)   On the fire hydrant side of any residential street;

(r)   On the paved and/or traveled portion of Pinehurst Drive during the days that Lake Elementary School is in session from the hours of 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. and from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m; or

(s)   Within areas designated as a fire lane as defined and/or required in Section 1610.04 of this Code of Ordinances.  The penalty for a violation of this division (s) shall be as set forth in Section 452.99(b).  In addition to the penalties provided in Section 452.99(b), any vehicle found in violation of any of the provisions of this division (s) shall be towed away.

In most cases, the Police Department will not be aware of what caused the power to go out or when the power will be restored. Please do not call the Police Department to report your outage unless there is an emergency situation; live wires down, electrical fire, telephone pole down etc. For a hazardous event please call 9-1-1 as your safety is the most important.

Ways to report a power outage:

  • Call The Illuminating Company at 1-888-544-4877 (1-888-LIGHTSS)
  • Text “OUT” to 544487
  • Report online here.

Ways to check reported outages:

  • Check the outage map here.

If a dog at large is vicious or has injured anyone, call 9-1-1 or contact our department at (440) 257-7234. If the dog is not dangerous and can be caught, report it to our department. An officer can transport the dog temporarily to the police department to attempt to locate an owner. A photo will be posted on our Facebook page. If no owner is located, the dog will be transported to the Lake County Dog Shelter.

The Lake County Dog Shelter information:

2600 N. Ridge Rd, Painesville, OH 44077

(440) 350-2640


Office hours: Mon-Fri 8 A.M. – 4:30 P.M. Closed on weekends and holidays.

If the animal poses a risk to people or pets, such as a sick raccoon or skunk, an officer may dispatch the animal in a humane manner if there are no risks. If the animal has been dispatched, the officer may secure the animal in a plastic bag and place it on the curb for the Health Department to collect and test for rabies and other illnesses.

Under 12 years old – Dusk to Dawn

12 years to 15 years old – 11:00 P.M. to 6:00 A.M.

16 years to 17 years old – 12:00 A.M. (Midnight) to 6:00 A.M.

If items are found in the city and brought to the Police Department, we will make attempts to find the owner and return the items to them. If an owner can not be identified, information about the found item will be posted to our Facebook page.

You must come to our department to pay a person’s bond. If the person is currently in our jail, we can release them to you after the bond has been paid and we have completed any booking processes. If the person has been transported to the Lake County Jail, you must come to our department to pay the bond. After you will go to the Lake County Jail to pick up the individual.


The only form of payment that we accept is cash. We also do not have the ability to make change, so please bring the exact dollar amount of the bond.


City residents costs $10.00

Non-residents cost $20.00


The following is what we need from you:

  • Title or bill of sale with the golf carts information
  • Golf cart’s VIN (vehicle identification number)
  • Golf cart’s year
  • Golf cart’s gross vehicle weight
  • Golf cart’s make and model


What your golf cart needs equipped to pass the inspection:

  • Working brakes
  • Working brake lights (2 lights)
  • Working head lights (2 lights)
  • Working tail lights (2 lights)
  • Warning devices / reflectors (e.g., turn signals)
  • Steering mechanism
  • Windshield (Glass or safety glass)
  • Rearview mirror
  • Tires (in safe operating condition

Please feel free to review the following link for the current city ordinances on solicitors. If you believe someone is in violation of these ordinances, please call our non- emergency number (440) 257-7234 and report the violation to us.

Click here to read the ordinance.

If you would like to file a report or would like some advice, call or come to the station.

These are some other suggestions on steps to take:

  • Contact your bank / credit card company directly. **Use the number on the back of the card or go to the bank to ensure that you are truly speaking with a company representative. (A scammer may call you and claim to be a company/bank representative and provide a fake callback number. By calling a known number directly, it may help to avoid further fraud).


  • “Freeze” your credit report by contacting any of the three major credit reporting agencies.                EQUIFAX – (800) 685-1111    TRANS UNION – (800) 909-8872   EXPERIAN – (888) 397-3742


  • File a police report. A report may be required by the bank or credit company. Please bring account information and dollar amounts (if any money was taken).


  • Contact the Social Security Office – (800) 772-1213           55 W. Jackson St, Painesville, OH 44077


  • Change your account passwords. Try changing your passwords to make them more difficult to guess. Avoid using addresses, names, or birthdays in your passwords. You can also add a two-factor authentication method in some cases to ensure your accounts are secure.


  • If you believe you are victim of a scam, you can report it here.

It is very important to contact the police department if anyone is attempting to have you send them money for accounts that do not exist or you have closed.

  1. NEVER give your personal information over the phone
  2. NEVER contact the company via a phone number you receive on line.  Look up the number from a bill or from the internet.  Contact the company and advise them of your interaction to find out if it is legitimate
  3. No prince needs your money to be freed from captivity
  4. The Lottery nor Publishers Clearing House needs your money first before they pay out your winnings
  5. BEWARE of anyone who asks for payment with gift cards
  6. Do not send money to someone you have met online. 
  7. The IRS will not call you and tell you to pay your taxes over the phone.  The police will not call and ask for payment over the phone. 
  8. BEWARE of Amazon imposters who contact you advising that your account was hacked and ask for your money to fix the account.
  9. There are many more scams out there.  Before you send anyone, money contact the police!

If you have a gun or ammo that you no longer want, you can call our department or bring the items to our department and we will safely dispose of them. If you are bringing them to the department, please leave them secured in your vehicle until the officer requests for the items to be turned over (for everyone’s safety).

The Department utilizes a speed trailer which displays real time speeds.  The trailer is placed on various streets throughout the city. If you would like the trailer set up in your neighborhood, call the department and request to speak to the Chief of police or the Lieutenant or email them direct at [email protected] and [email protected].  You can also message us on Facebook Messenger.

You may drop off prescription drugs in the red bin in the lobby outside of our dispatch office. This is accessible 24/7. If you have any hypodermic needles, please separate them and advise the on-duty dispatcher for safe disposal.  We DO NOT accept any liquids.

All of our parks are closed from dusk to dawn. In certain situations (e.g., taking photos of storms or meteor showers) you can call our non-emergency number (440) 257-7234 and request permission to be in the park.

As of recently, the state has changed the firework laws and allowed each city to decide if they want to keep their ordinances or opt out of following the state law that permits the discharge of fireworks on certain days. Please see our current ordinance for information about fireworks within Mentor-on-the-Lake city limits. Click Here to see the ordinance.